How To Stretch PolyesterRoyal Beddings
Like most of the materials used in the textile industry, they have some stretching allowed and the fabric can move in a certain direction. Adaptation of the fabric is of high importance when we are looking for something comfortable. For that reason, we will talk more about how to stretch polyester material, and to what degree is this possible.
Polyester is a synthetic material that is widely used in many industries around the world, but mostly in the textile industry. It was designed to be comfortable, durable, and you can use polyester sheets and covers for years with proper maintenance.
Let’s take a look at stretching properties and how to stretch polyester in general, to make it more adaptable and comfortable for our body. The same rules apply for clothing and beddings made of polyester.
RELATED: Polyester Stretch In Beddings.
By its nature, polyester is a stretchy material, which means we have the ability to expand the fabric to a certain degree. Textiles made out of 100% polyester have a difficult time making is stretchy. The fabric is adaptable and will stretch when a certain action is performed, but it will snap back into place immediately.
This is why a blend of cotton and polyester would be a great choice for having a stretchy piece of textile. This type of fabric will partially snap back into place, but this is a decent improvement comparing to fabrics made of 100% polyester. With a fabric made of a blend of cotton and polyester, you are ready to shape them with methods that we will explain in a bit.
In essence, polyester has stretching properties because of petroleum, and this is commonly used in synthetic materials. Polyester is also a very durable material, made with thick waving process. Even with a durable material like this one, it is possible to stretch the fabric in the desired way.
How To Stretch Polyester
Now we will show you some methods you can do at home to stretch your favorite polyester fabric and adapt it to your liking without damaging or even destroying the material. For all these methods, you will need to use a washing machine, since this is the best tool to move the fluids to your fabric and be able to shape it.
1. Method – High Heat Stretch
- First, you need to wash your fabric in a washing machine using a full cycle, which is usually 30 minutes. For this method, you need to use a high heat cycle. Use a temperature of less than 180 degrees Fahrenheit, since a higher temperature will boil your clothes. This is only valid with white textile.
- When it is done, place your fabric on a table or any large flat surface you have in the house, while the fabric is still hot. After the fabric has been placed, move a part of the fabric you want to shape in the desired direction and place an object on top of it so it stays in that position. We also recommend using a heavy, flat object which has enough power to hold the fabric in place. Just be careful not to stretch the fabric too much so it doesn’t tear.
- Now when this is in place, place a second object on the starting place of the stretched piece of fabric, so you have placed 2 holding objects.
- Leave it there to dry and stretch for at least two hours, since some polyester fabrics can take longer to stretch.
- After two hours, remove the holding objects from the fabric and see the results. The polyester should have stretched, if not then repeat the process, but instead of stretching it directly wet from a washing machine, let it sit out for a while so it is semi-wet. After that, begin with the process.
The high heat method is something we highly recommend on how to stretch polyester fabric since it is proven to be most effective.
2. Method – Wear-Dry
There is also a second method called wear-dry method where the fabric is also washed on a high-degree cycle, but it needs to be worn in order to stretch it out, instead of placing it on a flat surface. This method might be useful for simple clothing like t-shirts, but for polyester beddings, this is not the case.
Hopefully, you will be able to stretch your polyester fabric with the methods we have mentioned. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us or leave a comment in the comment section down below. We would be more than happy to answer!